Published 138 (107 indexed and 31 non-indexed) papers, authored ten chapters, delivered 150 lectures. Principal investigator for the “Chennai Glaucoma Study” a “Follow up of subjects with glaucoma, ocular hypertension and narrow angles” and ‘Chennai Eye Disease Incidence Study’.
- Consultant, Glaucoma Services Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India- March 1987 to March 1992
- Senior consultant, Glaucoma Services Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya,Chennai, India- March 1992 to June 2000
- Director, Glaucoma Services, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, June 2000 to August, 2014.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Senior Clinician, Singapore National Eye Center, Singapore, September, 2014 to April 2016.
- Distinguished Senior Consultant, Glaucoma Services, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, July 2016to till date.
In all the above positions, the roles and responsibilities include clinical practice of ophthalmology, academics (teaching and training) and research.
Honours and Awards
- Rustom Ranji Oration Medal ,AP State Ophthalmological Society- for the year 2007
- Dr Rustom D Ranji Rotary Award -for Contribution to Ophthalmology – (LV Prasad Eye Institute and Rotary Club Hyderabad Dist 3150) – 2008
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award 2009
- Dr.Samir Biswas Memorial Oration (Ophthalomological Society of West Bengal)- 2009
- Prof. T. GopinathaMenon Memorial Oration (Cochin Ophthalmic Club)-2009
- AIOS IJO Platinum Award, for the best paper published in Indian Journal of Ophthalmology – Outcomes of cataract surgery in a rural and urban south Indian population. – 2010
- Paul Harris Fellow, given by Rotary Foundation of Rotary International – July, 2012
- LC Dutta Award, given for best publication in Indian Journal of Ophthalmology – February,2015.
- Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) – September,2015
- APAO Achievement Award March, 2016
- Dr VL Albal Oration (Deccan Ophthalmological Society) – September 2016
Important roles and positions held
- President Glaucoma society of India- 2006- 2008
- Consultant – World Health Organization- for Strategies to prevent blindness from glaucoma
- Member, Glaucoma research society (Formed for innovative glaucoma related research world wide)
- Member of Initiative for Management and Glaucoma Education (IMAGE)
- Member, South east Asia glaucoma interest group- Asia pacific guidelines for glaucoma
- Member, World Glaucoma association advocacy committee
- Participant, Association of international glaucoma society’s consensus group for angle closure glaucoma- Are angle closure glaucomas important health problems?
- Member, Organizing group for the world glaucoma congress at Singapore (2007), Boston (2009) and Paris (2011).
- Organizing chairperson, SEAGIG- Chennai 2006
- Member, Board of studies in post doctoralfellowship courses(medical&surgical). Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India.
- Professor and registered PhD guide, Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India.
- Member of the executive committee of the Glaucoma Research Society, 2014- 2016
- Member of World Glaucoma Association Global Outreach Committee.
- Member of Board – Asia Pacific Glaucoma Society
- Member of the membership committee of the Glaucoma Research Society.
- Scientific committee member APGC,Busan, 2017